There are 2 sections in this course:
- Section 1: Safe Patient Handling and DCPs
- Section 2: Body Mechanics for Moving Objects
There are learning activities, list of resources, and quiz at the end of each part of this unit. The learning activities will provide you with an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills presented in the course.
A Certificate of Completion is awarded on successful completion of this course.
The intended audience for this course is direct care professionals.
Upon completion of Unit 5, Section 1, you will be able to:
- Discuss components of safe patient handling (SPH)
- List risk factors that put DCP at risk for musculoskeletal injury
- Recognize environmental conditions that cause high risk to DCPs
- Discuss injuries of Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs) in DCPs
- Discuss solutions for high-risk tasks
Upon Completion of Unit 5, Section 2, you will be able to:
- Apply rules of correct body mechanics for moving objects (not people)
- Describe methods to safely transport people who use wheelchairs
- Discuss general methods to safely transfer an individual using a gait belt
Analytical/Assessment Skills, Communication Skills, Community Dimensions of Practice Skills, Leadership and Systems Thinking Skills
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts
Marcia Driscoll, RN
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update
October 31, 2012