There are 7 modules in this course:
- Inside the Newsroom
- Matters of Style
- Properties of a News Release
- Organizing Information
- Elements of a News Release
- Now What?
- Other Skills
Following these, a Posttest must be completed.
PIOs/PAOs who need to improve their skills in communicating with the public during an emergency
After completing this course the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of deadlines in different types of news releases.
- Describe who’s who in the newsroom.
- Discuss newsworthy elements of the story by using clear and simple language and consistency in the style and usage.
- List the eight properties of a news release.
- Summarize and organize information in a manner that creates clear and accurate understanding.
- Describe the use of the 5 W’s and the inverted pyramid style in newswriting.
- Write the lead, body and headline for a news release.
- Explain the importance of quotations in a news release and use them in an appropriate manner.
- Explain the review process for a news release.
- Explain the dissemination process for a news release.
- Discuss the preparation for follow-up questions from the media.
- Monitor and analyze news reports, utilizing Rapid Response when appropriate.
- Develop talking points using the “message triangle.”
- Describe the criteria used to select broadcast media stories.
- Describe four essential qualities contained in effective broadcast news stories.
- Write effective public service announcements.
- Describe the difference between a news release and a news advisory; write an effective news advisory.
- Distinguish between a news release, a news conference, and a news briefing.
- Prepare for and conduct a news conference or briefing.
- Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals identified:
- Domain 3: Communication Skills
- 3A5. Conveys data and information to professionals and the public using a variety of approaches (e.g., reports, presentations, email, letters)
- Domain 5: Community Dimensions of Practice Skills
- 5A9. Informs the public about policies, programs, and resources that improve health in a community
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update
December 4, 2012